Saturday, February 21, 2009

Temple Residents Honored

By Harold Powell

We attended the Temple Chamber of Commerce Annual Awards Banquet January 31. Chamber President Virginia Dupler put on a good show. About 120 attended. Home cooking from many citizens was very good as always.

Lt. Gov. Jari Askins presented the Citizen of the Year award to Jack Jackson. Other awards were: Nadine Gibson – Community Achievement; Kaleigh Richmond – Student of the Year; Shirley Riddles – Employee of the Year.

Current Directors of the Chamber and managers of the dinner President Virginia Dupler; Vice President Sheri Parkey, Secretary Dana McIlhaney, Treasurer Willie Richardson, Richard Glenn, Toots Spurlock, Mary Jane Parkey, Lupe Gonzalez and Jereda Bower.

An auction of donated items raised $700. Among the donated items was mirror framed from tin from ceiling of Dolman Grocery which was salvaged by Pat McIntyre when he tore down the old building to make room for his new building. Dorothy Courtright donated several pieces of her metal art.


JACK JACKSON’S STORY Temple Citizen of the Year, 2009

I was born to Vaughn L. and Vivian Poe Jackson on a hillside farm outside Johnsonville, Tennessee in 1930. My granddad told me there was no one home that day except he and me. He said he pulled me out of a hollow log.

I attended school at Jacksonville through the 8th grade. There were 3 teachers. The Tennessee Valley Authority put a dam on the Tennessee River and made it the Kentucky Lake. We moved to town called Hustburg, where I went to Tribble High School. There were 75 students in the top 4 grades. I worked on a farm for $3.00 per12 hour day. After graduation I went to Peoria, Illinois and worked at Caterpillar Tractors. In 1949 I went to the Air-Force and was stationed at Sheppard Field where I was in the athletic department.

Some of the guys began crossing Red River to see Oklahoma. That is where I met Ruth Brashears. We were married February 11, 1953. After I was discharged we moved to Peoria, Illinois. I worked nights for Caterpillar and went to barber school, putting in 94 hours per week. After 7 years we moved to Duncan, Oklahoma where I worked in a barber shop for Raymond Utley. We moved to Temple and I bought Bill Burton’s Barber Shop.

We have two sons, Kelly born in 1958 and Trent born in 1960. Ruth and I were active in our son’s school activities and in summer ball program. While working in the barber shop I helped form the Little League Baseball with the help of Clyde McClenny and several other men in the Temple community. I then went to work for Halliburton in Duncan. Retired from that in 1992.

Ruth and I still live in Temple. I cut hair a couple of times a week. I also serve as president of the Board for the Waurika Lake. We oversee the supply of lake water to six towns: Lawton, Duncan, Comanche, Waurika, Walters and Temple. I serve as President of Temple Cemetery Association. We see that the cemetery is kept in good condition by overseeing the mowing, the roads and general maintenance.

We have one granddaughter, Taylor Jackson. She goes to school in Comanche. I help coach her summer ball team. I never miss an activity that she is in.

In 1964 I was baptized into Temple Church of Christ. Ruth and I have always been very active in the work for the Lord. I have a strong love for children of all ages. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for anyone in need of help. Some say I never meet a stranger. I have taught Sunday school classes ever since I have been in church.

I have a couple of hobbies that I enjoy a lot. I am a bike rider and take part in bike rides and races all over Oklahoma and several other states. I also enjoy archery. I helped get a place for archery meetings and tournaments on the creek. I love the active part of archery and bike riding and enjoy meeting the people at these meetings.


TEMPLE EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR 2009, presented by Sen. Don Barrington to SHIRLEY RIDDLES, Office Manager for Temple Utilities Authority.

Shirley Riddles is one of the most loyal, dependable, thoughtful, generous and selfless persons that we know as you can tell by the 34 years of service to the Town of Temple. So many citizens are in her debt as she is continually helping someone in some way, especially the ones who are hard working and still struggling. She backs all of the TUA and Town employees 150%. She has dedicated her life in helping TUA stay financially strong. She protects the money of TUA as if it were her own. She has a major sense of integrity.

She is an excellent bookkeeper as she has done this work most of her life. Her work is unquestionable.

She has always been a rock of stability and information to other city employees. They ask, “What can I do for you in return”. She says, “Nothing, that’s not way I helped you.”

We are very proud to say that Shirley Riddles is one of the finest people we know. She is a great asset to the Town of Temple and a friend to all.


TEMPLE BUSINESS OF THE YEAR – 2009, presented by Sen. Don Barrington to COTTON COUNTY AUTO SUPPLY, JOE HARRIS – OWNER/OPERATOR

Joe started working for Glenn McCluskey at Cotton County Auto Supply when he was in junior high school and continued working there while he was in high school and college. He worked after school, Saturdays and all school breaks. His goal was to purchase Cotton County Auto Supply someday.

Joe graduated from Temple High School in 1988, from Cameron University in 1993 with a degree in Criminal Justice and purchased Cotton County Auto Supply in 1996 from Glenn McCluskey.

This is a one man operation and Joe is always available to help his city and farmer customer.


TEMPLE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD – 2009, NADINE GIBSON

Nadine Gibson was chosen to receive the Achievement Award for her many contributions to Temple over the years. She worked many hours on the beautification for Commercial Avenue.

She was among those instrumental in raising funds to move Pleasant Ridge School building to Dowlen Park in Temple, and in preserving and improving it. Nadine (McClung) Gibson and her siblings attended Pleasant Ridge School until their graduation from the eighth grade.


TEMPLE STUDENT OF THE YEAR – 2009, presented by Dana McIlhaney to KALEIGH RICHMOND

Kaleigh is a 17 year old Senior at Temple. She was selected for all of her academic achievements and for efforts in Temple and at the school.

Kaleigh is active in FFA holds office of Secretary. She is Student Council President and Year Book Editor. She is on the Superintendent’s honor roll and has been named Salutatorian of the 2009 graduating class. She is a member of the Academic All Stars.

In 2007 she went on a mission trip to Cologne, Germany with the GO Students program. In 2008 went on a working mission trip to Hugo, Oklahoma with World Changers.

She works in the nursery, sings in the choir and attends youth visitation at First Baptist Church. She teaches Mission Friends to 4 and 5 year olds.

Kaleigh’s parents are Johnny and Karen Richmond.

Temple teacher, Dana McIlhaney presented the award and said, “I’ve had few students over the last 30 years that can match her work ethic”.

No comments:

Post a Comment