Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Football Rivalries

As football season draws near, I thought it would be nice to share this note from J.T. Wyatt on Temple football that I printed in my column in 2005:

I grew up in Walters and graduated in the class of 1944. Most folks of the younger generation are not aware of the intense rivalry between Walters and Temple in those years, especially in sports. The annual football game was played on Thanksgiving afternoon, and more often than not a fight would break out among the fans.

When I was asked to move to Temple because of my employment in 1949, I had mixed emotions. However, I was in for a pleasant surprise. The people of Temple accepted me with open arms and before long I was converted and became a fervent Tiger supporter. I became a member of the Board of Education when Mr. Adams was Superintendent, and some may remember we went through some trying times during his tenure.

I found the town of Temple to be made up of friendly folks and a good place to raise a family. It has been said that communities have distinct characteristics as individuals do, and I believe that to be true. Temple is not the thriving business community that it once was and to me that is sad. I remember when it was difficult to find a place to park even with center street parking. We had a late Saturday night preview at the theatre and the Hob-Nob Café didn't close until after midnight. While Temple has gone the way of many small town-farming communities it still holds many fond memories to me.

But I go back a long way.

I can even remember when Bobby Green was dating your wife. Of course that's before she became Mrs. Powell. Again, let me say, I like your weekly column. 

--J.T. Wyatt, Pharr, Texas “

 

When J.T. moved to Temple I was a high school sophomore.  J.T. was Temple funeral director.  He often attended our football practice and was on the sidelines at games. He was an encourager to would be athletes.  He is correct about Bobby Green and Lois Lewis.  In fact they were once engaged.  That’s another story. 

Bobby Green was an outstanding Temple High athlete in football, basketball, and baseball.  He was a senior starting quarterback for Oklahoma A&M (now OSU) the fall of 1953.  I was sophomore fullback linebacker at OU.  The highlight of my college football career at OU was when I tackled Bobby Green in the middle of Owen Field. The next play he completed a pass in my zone.  The final score was OU 47, A&M 7 (OU was on the way to a 47 game winning streak).  Bobby ran 65 yards for A & M’s only touchdown.  Lois, my bride of three months was there.  I think it was a big day for Temple football fans gathered around their radios. Maybe J.T. and Bobby will expand on these remembrances.

No comments:

Post a Comment